Thursday 24 October 2013

Everything KH

I read his book A Thousand Splendid Suns and I was hooked.
The use of simple language and the way he described the surroundings so that one is able to locate precisely what is happening, where it's occurring was beautifully implicated. There were no difficult words mind you and I didn't feel the need to read the book along with a dictionary as one is forced to do while skimming Atlas Shrugged. The story was rich without the use of laboriously rigid letters spun together.
The most admirable thing about this book was the use of Urdu words, giving not the least inhibiting influence to a non-Urdu speaker.The book spoke, as anyone who has read it would agree. It was alive. It didn't just have a story to tell, but it demanded the attention it needed riveted by it's reader.
Just this year, after much begging, I was awarded his recent best-seller And The Mountains Echoed by my best friend on my birthday. This story was much more complex, intricate relationships between the characters. But all the same, it kept me turning it's pages throughout the night. 
I couldn't agree more with the Washington Post: Send Hossaini up the bestseller again.

No comments:

Post a Comment