Monday 14 October 2013

Sleep Much?

The irrevocable feeling that tonight, sleep is not going to be my companion, the need to close my eyes for a nap and the monster or ghoul I see behind my closed lashes, the non-existent foot steps I hear on the stairs, expecting a claw on my shoulder, Freddy Kruger standing in my room, the metal hand glinting ominously in the sepulchral glow even though the movie's been played on my screen like three years ago and this character doesn't crop up until now, the realization that today is Friday the 13th, then I know it's Appy's night at the hospital tonight.
I dread it, this dance of my sister's between the hospital and her warm bed, occurring once every 4 days. When she returns after a night, I bask in the glow of being able to close my eyes and sleep soundly, not caring about any demon, dementor or banshee standing at the edge of my bed. I even turn off the light (something I'm not famous for!) and enjoy a marvelous rest.
But the day I realize I'm going to be all alone in the upper half of my house, is enough to keep me awake for the rest of the night. Which is a good thing as a couple of snatches of sleep are already out of my reach.
I wonder what I'm gonna do when I grow up eventually. Keeping a lot of cats so I can sleep if I live alone (which I'm actually gonna do!) or try to live with my parents (hell to the no).
I guess the first one is something to think about.
I just hope by the time I'm ready to live on my own, I have erased these irrational fears (read stupid) and can perfectly snooze off in any environment.
Or it could be just this that maybe I'm going to be so pooped out by working all day (or all night!) that I'm not gonna care about any supernatural thing lurking around in the background while I rest with my eyes completely closed....Post up a sign for the dementor buddy or the bogeyman; Give it a rest dude! I'm  ex-Hausted!!
Maybe that will be it. But I mustn't get my hopes high. Even now I have to glance back over my shoulders to investigate what that squishing sound was just now...Oh wait, it's just granny's wet slipper's...walking by itself? Oh no.....maybe I'm hallucinating from lack of serotonin in my blood.....

No comments:

Post a Comment